Oil Ash Residue.

dlloyduk

Oil Ash Residue.

Post by dlloyduk » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:01 pm

How is this reading obtained and reset. After recent oil change and service I would have expected some change. Reading is not changed?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Oil Ash Residue.

Post by admin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:29 am

This is not directly related to the engine oil. This is a residue coming from the fuel combustion and it isn't removable, in fact when this deposit reaches the maximum accepted value, the filter must be replaced.
Only in this case, using a diagnostic tester, the oil ash value can be reset to 0 corresponding to the new filter installation.

MilVal

Post by MilVal » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:08 pm

How value or number is OK and when must be changed DPF? For Engine 2.0 TDI DFH.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:17 am

If the app shoes the percentage in the oil ash field, you can use it as an indication of the filter life.
If you don't see the percentage, your ECU doesn't have the maximum oil ash value but for a 2.0 TDI I usually see this value near 60-70 grams. You can use this value to estimate the filter life, but when your current value is near 55-60 grams I suggest to ask to an official service to know the real maximum value before to change or clean the filter. Or maybe you can find that value for your engine in the web.

andycollings

Post by andycollings » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:00 pm

Any idea why mine would be reading 0?

Stephan86

Post by Stephan86 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:53 pm

Hello,
I also have also a question about the Ash Residue value. I had previously driven the CUNA engine. Everything was displayed there. I currently drive a CDUC engine. Unfortunately, this value is missing there. Can something be changed about that? Can you change the channel? I could use VCDS to see which channel I can use to get the value.

I have one more comment. Is it possible to include the engine oil temperature in the app? So you would have all the important data on one screen. Unfortunately, my instrument cluster is not yet able to display an engine oil temperature.

Best wishes

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:35 pm

Stephan86 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:53 pm
Hello,
I also have also a question about the Ash Residue value. I had previously driven the CUNA engine. Everything was displayed there. I currently drive a CDUC engine. Unfortunately, this value is missing there. Can something be changed about that? Can you change the channel? I could use VCDS to see which channel I can use to get the value.

I have one more comment. Is it possible to include the engine oil temperature in the app? So you would have all the important data on one screen. Unfortunately, my instrument cluster is not yet able to display an engine oil temperature.

Best wishes
andycollings wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:00 pm
Any idea why mine would be reading 0?
For both: you should try all the other engine groups looking for a readable oil ash parameter. Unfortunately I don't have detailed information for all engines, many of them have been verified by users using an existing group.
If you find something interesting I can modify a group or create a new one merging part of other groups.