Regen every drive

glenc

Regen every drive

Post by glenc » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi,

Firstly admim, thanks for an excellent app, I have Vagcom but this makes it so easy to see what is going on with the DPF, I have purchased the full version and will be making recommendations to others!

Anyhow I wonder if anyone can help, I seem to have an issue with my VW Transporter in that the DPF is regening every drive. As soon as the engine is up to temperature the DPF regen kicks in and I get smoke from the exhaust on acceleration a white/grey colour. Doesnt do this when cold only when up to temperature and using the app managed to align the smoke generation with the DPF regen.

Also noticed that I am getting diesel in my oil... I assume this is due to the increase in fuel for the regen, under normal usage probably not noticeable but at the moment I seem to be going into regen every journey and some fuel is probably getting into the oil, the frequency of this is causing it to register on the dipstick...

I have attached a couple of screenshots, we can see at 18:29 that I am Soot Mass calculated at 3.45, then seconds later it jumps to 24.07. Makes me believe it is a sensor failing, but the jump happens only when the engine coolant is at 90 degrees.

I am just working with the log file and want to get the time stamps in excel, how can I convert the (ms) number into the correct time and date? I am used to using EPOC date conversions but just cannot seem to change the log entry into the time and date stamp.

Happy to upload the log file / email it over if anyone can help or is interested to look at what is going on.

Thanks for any help

Glen
Attachments
Screenshot_20211031-182942.jpg
Screenshot_20211031-182917.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Re: Regen every drive

Post by admin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:28 am

I agree with you, this behavior can mean a sensor failure. Moreover I see the measured soot mass with realistic values and this happens when the calculated value isn't correct (usually the measured value is negative and not realistic).
I think that the ECU starts the regeneration so frequently because it sees uncommon values in some sensor and to be safe it prefers to launch the regeneration many times.

To convert from milliseconds to date/time you can use this formula:

=(A3/86400000)+DATE(1970,1,1)+(1/24)+(1/24)

A3 is the cell containing the milliseconds value.
The two finals blocks "+(1/24)" are optional and correspond to the increments due to the UTC time and the daylight saving time. They depend on your regional time rules. For example if your UTC time is +3 you have to add "+(3/24)" and if you don't have the daylight saving time you can remove the last "+(1/24)".
Of course you can collect the 2 values in a single fraction to be added, I used them separated for better understanding.
Then the cell containing the formula must be formatted as date/time in the format that you prefer.

himi

Post by himi » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:23 pm

Hi there, did you solve your problem?
I have VW Golf GTD (CUNA) and having exactly the same problem. Soot Mass Calc usually gets up to around 4g and then jumps above 22g and the car starts regeneration. I just changed the differential pressure sensor today and about to drive tomorrow to work. I don't think it's the sensor issue but let's see.
Thx for any update.

puppetzzzz

Post by puppetzzzz » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:40 pm

Hello all , seems i have exactly the same issue on exactly same engine (CUNA) only on Skoda VRS.
Seems to me like problem with sensor...

here is my screenshoot when i have huge leap from 3gr to 22gr :|
viber_image_2023-03-03_17-11-08-630.jpg
@himi any luck after changing sensor? @glenc have u solved the issue somhow?

Nikolay

Post by Nikolay » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:27 pm

Hi Guys,
Thus simptom is caused by clogged DPF. I had the same issue i also changed the sensor with no effect. The DPF should be changed or take it off and washed. As a bonus... the fuel additives wll help you.

Nikolay

Post by Nikolay » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:28 pm

I meant the fuel additives will not help you

puppetzzzz

Post by puppetzzzz » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:51 pm

Ok ,i have update on my matter. So the DPF was full due to faulty EGR cooler. Yes i learned that EGR valve also has a coolant part that cools the exhaust gas with same coolant as for the engine. In my case it (EGR cooler) developed a leak and coolant along with some oil (dont ask me from where the oil came from...) was going from EGR to DPF and it prematurely clogged . This resulted in frequent DPF regens because, as i stated before ,my differential pressure was on idle 25 and on 3k RPM on 300-400 . (your diff. pressure should be around 5 when idle and 80 on 2.5k RPM)..

So that was the root cause - the after effect of all of that is -that my turbo is also prematurely worn off and i currently have a bit of wiggle , it seems my bearings are loose. This happens because turbo gets back pressure coz DPF is clogged and since it also does a lot of regens - the turbo gets hot air and it prematurely wear's off.

A bit of a bummer. At this point i told the guys to replace faulty EGR cooler , and return DPF ( i had DPF opened and chemically cleaned so all the red ash will be gone along with sooth) and just close it all up. I don't have money currently to pay the turbine service, so that will be future investment (if it doesn't fail on me in following year...)

I will update you when i get my car back from service with VAG DPF app screenshots .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:19 pm

What a disaster :o

Thanks for the update, very helpful for others with same symptoms.