LOW km range between active regens

Robert

LOW km range between active regens

Post by Robert » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:52 pm

Hi Admin,
Thanks for the app.
I am fighting with DPF problems. DPF indicator lamp signed. I have the DPF cleaned, see log file attached. Problem stayed. Indicator signed in every 4-7 days. Injector (1pc) and thermostat was found faulty so I have them repaired. 1000 km and 1 month passed without signature of DPF indicator lamp so I nearly was glad :-). I purchased the app and installed. I saw 99% (last regen 200km and 360 minutes) and I kept driving let the ECU pass the regen and see how the app works. Next time (after 200km) I did not have time to let him finish with regen and stopped several times in the next 24 hours when the indicator signed again so I wend for a drive. I am not sure if 200km is normal but in the same time I do not think the DPF is wrong. I drive 2 x 13 km a day in city condition. Passive regen can not start, only active and user.
No idea where to go forward :-(.
Thanks for your help.
Robert
Attachments
dpf_report.jpg

admin
Site Admin

Re: LOW km range between active regens

Post by admin » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:15 am

200km between regenerations can be right if you drive almost always in city and with frequent stops.
The DPF lamp only is the first warning level in the dashboard and it's not so dangerous because it means you've overpassed the standard regeneration level. It's just a reminder to make a long trip as soon as possibile.
You can see in the attached image that after the first warning there is another warning with 3 lamps showed and this is a real warning because if you don't complete the regeneration, the soot level can reach the limit value after which you must replace the filter.
Attachments
111.jpg

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:21 am

To tell the truth it is the first useful info which helps me to see more clear I have received (including official VW service) so far - thank you!

DPF indicator lamp signed last summer first time. I had no chance to go for a trip as the check engine lamp signed within 24 hours (is not it short time?) and switched the car emergency mode.

I had not had any chance to try long journey passive regen so far but I have just came from active regen see attached log (before lamp signed but based on checking the app status) from highway and as the active regen finished I saw only around inpit 300-400Celsius temperature at 110-120 km and 2000-2500 rpm. What speed and rpm can reach 600Celsius?

Image shows active regen starts at 18 but I see my active regen (before lamp signs) starts from around 24 g and stops at around 6 g.

This app helps me a lot. Without this I can not use my car at present and helps me to understand the process so I can adjust my using habits accordingly.

thanks and regards,

Robert
Attachments
Vag_DPF_log.rar
(475.87 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:26 pm

Understand the DPF behavior is useful to adapt the driving style, I agree. And I don't understand why VAG keep hiding all these information to the end users.

Personally I didn't reach 600°C with a passive regeneration, I don't think is possibile or at least it's not so easy to do.

In the graph you can see that active regeneration can start between 18 and 24 grams (blue line) and not exactly at 18 grams, so you experience is correct.

Robert

Post by Robert » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:04 pm

Can the capacity of of the filter decrease ? I mean can it be an additional reason of low km range? In case of replacing with a new one will the range longer?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:18 am

The filter performance decreases due to the oil ashes increasing inside it. This is a slow process that takes about 250-300 k km to reach the maximum accepted value, but I don't know how the distance between regenerations will decrease after the filter replacement. I never experienced that.

Robert

Post by Robert » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:15 am

Thank you.
I have 150k.
I am wondering if my DPF is needed to be replaced or I should used to it.
Does cleaning remove oil ash as well as soot?
App shows 0L.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:04 pm

The car should inform you when the filter life is ended.
I think the engineers have considered an acceptable performance if the oil ash level is within the limit, so I wouldn't have much trouble on that.
Yes, the distance between regenerations will decrease day by day, but you shouldn't notice any difference while driving.

I can't help you about the filter cleaning because I don't know anything about it.

ChinaSof

-

Post by ChinaSof » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:20 pm

I got it running today and took a little ride, it ran great in high range forward and reverse. Then I stuck it in low range and had a heck of a time getting it out. It will shift ok as long as the motor isnt running so is this just a matter of adjustment or something else???????